Having a KidSafe Halloween
For most Filipinos, Halloween (All Souls Day & All Saints Day) means mini family reunions…in the cemetery. Growing up, I also looked forward to such events because that means I could play with my cousins all day and all night long – scaring each other with silly ghost stories, creating giant balls made from candles’ wax, and playing different games.
Now that I am a Mommy myself, I can’t wait to let Charley experience the same thing, too. But ooops! Charley is still a toddler, and I’m pretty sure I was a lot older than her when my Mom brought me to the cemetery to visit our departed loved ones.
|Top: Big &;Small Co., Leggings: Guess Kids; Shoes: Minnie Mouse; Hat|
Here are some hacks I wanna share to ensure your kid's safety and your sanity this Halloween if ever bringing the baby out is inevitable.
- Provide an identification for your child. This is especially true for kids whose jobs are to give their Moms and Dads a panic attack. We’ve all heard of kids getting lost in public places, and sometimes it’s just frustrating (and scary) if the child is too young or too scared to remember who he/she is. To avoid such, have your child wear an ID with your contact numbers, or make one yourself. Write your child’s name (could be a nickname, too), your and your hubby’s names and contact numbers, too. I’m not very comfortable with putting our full names and address, but such info could be at your own discretion already.
You can also make matching ID’s that you can show the Help Desk. I truly understand if the Help Desk refuses to give my child right away when I pick her up without proper identification. That way I know they’re really looking after my child’s safety.
There are so many kids identification products online, and I'm not sure if they are already available in the PHilippines. Well, we can always make our own and laminate them, right Mommies?
|This one's available in Amazon.com|
|You can order this from tottoos.org|
- Always have someone with your child. If you cant be with your child 100% all the time, designate your husband or a househelp, or a responsible elder cousin to be with the baby all the time. Elder cousins usually enjoy having such responsibilities because it means they are trustworthy. Grab that opportunity and don't forget to praise them afterwards or offer longer screen time if that works for you.
- Dress your child comfortably, but easy enough to be seen. Forget those silly costumes; everyone else is wearing one anyway. What you need your kid to wear is something that will easily catch your eyes if you ever lose sight of him or her.
Comfort is of course paramount. Charley loves wearing her favourite tees from Big and Small Co., Cotton on Kids, Zippy, or Barbie®.
|Comfy wear from SM Kids|
- Prepare for all kinds of weather. It has been quite erratic lately; you'll never know if it's gonna rain or be extremely hot all day. That's why we always bring our trusted umbrella from Fibrella wherever we go. With its easy to open and close system, I can chase Charley while having it ready.
(Top) Zippy; (shorts) Gingersnaps; (Shoes) Tough Kids
|Rain coat from Zara Kids|
- No matter what time of the day it is, have him/her wear a mosquito patch. When Charley got sick for almost a week mid October, I feared it could be Dengue. I don't wanna take chances especially if it's Charley's health; that's why she always wears her MoskiShield Anti-Mosquito Patch we buy from SM. It has cute designs, so Charley doesn't mind wearing it...not that she has a choice. I think this is also available in National Bookstore, Hypermarket, and Mercury Drug Store.
|24 Patches for Php200|
My roommate, on the other hand, prefers using Kiel's on her. You can buy this from our favourite online store, Mommy's Little Boss. Read all about this amazing Mommy shop here.
- Always bring an extra pair of clothes for change. Charley is a dirt-magnet. I think she has reached that age when everything is a playtoy and she simply attracts dirt wherever she goes. That is why we always make sure to bring her an extra pair of clothes cos people usually schedule family pictures when my daughter already looks sabog.
|Cotton on Kids (top) H&M (jeans) and Florsheim (doll shoes)|
|Owl Tees from SM Kids|
Have a safe Halloween, Mommies and Babies!