I'm glad there's this Manila International Book Fair again at SMX this weekend. As a book-lover, events like this always thrill me. It's just heaven for me to see the large convention hall be filled up with books and people like me who just want to grab the best finds.
Unfortunately, this book fair only comes rarely, so not everyone could avail of the discounted books. Besides, MOA is far from Makati (at least in MY perspective), and it's usually traffic there, especially now that it rains almost every afternoon. These could be problems for mommies like me who want to buy books on discounts but rely much on Uber for transpo.
That is why, our family always drops by our friendly neighbourhood Book Sale in Cash n Carry! This kuripot mommy has always been a fan of Book Sale even back when I was in College. It amazes me that I could buy lots of books, even those that are still new and expensive in other bookstores, for a much cheaper price.
Of course, when I became a mommy, my roommate (my husband, btw) and I always make sure to check Book Sale to buy books for Baby Charley, and it has never failed us. Most of Baby Charley's books are products of Book Sale or gifts from family and friends.
Here are the things we love about Book Sale:
- Seriously cheap and affordable books. Book Sale stays true to its name: books are always on sale everyday! There are good books as cheap as Php15 and children's books by famous authors or with popular characters are still so much cheaper than those in other bookstores.
- There are books for each member of the family. Daddies will surely love magazines about cars, golf, or other sports while Mommies like me would enjoy books and magazines about lifestlye, parenting, and other hobbies. In fact, when we're preparing to conceive I bought my "What to Expect Before You're Expecting" and then my "What to Expect When You're Expecting". Guess what, when Baby Charley was born, we bought our "What to Expect on the First Year" which was Php500 cheaper than in other bookstores. Yes, we checked, and they're the same, except for the price of course. Of course, there are tons of children's books for kids and teens (Chicken Soup) of all ages!
- Most books are in mint condition, even the pre-loved ones. Although many of Book Sale's books are new, there are still books that are previously owned. Sometimes, it's not obvious, but sometimes it is, especially children's books because kids just loved to draw and write on their books. Usually, these kinds of books are way cheaper than the others. However, if it's just a scratch or a line or two, I would still buy them since Baby Charley would have done worse. Besides, as long as the story is still readable, we don't mind even if it says, "Happy Birthday, Mike!" on the first page.
- The choices of the types of books and genres will surprise you. Choices! Choices everywhere! Especially in bigger outlets, Book Sale offers a lot of choices for everyone. It might surprise you if you'd find local romance novels next to C++ books.
- There are recently published and old (almost collectible) books. One of my best find in Book Sale are Corduroy Series and Peanuts books. You can also find even classics like Christmas Carol and others.
- Book Sale replenishes the collections often. They update their collections often so your visits will be different from your previous ones. Often, books are themed according to the season of the year. For example, you'll find more books about halloween during October and November, Christmas during December, and love during February.
- Sometimes, they even have their clearance sales! Book Sale on sale?! Books that are usually cheaper than others become WAAAAYYY cheaper pa because of the sale. *faints*
With 91 stores and counting nationwide, Book Sale is the largest source of low-priced new and previously loved books from abroad. Indeed, in every visit to Book Sale, all mommies can surely get amazing and really cheap books for the whole family!