Sunday 15 March 2015

Mommy Wars

One thing I find rather amusing to parents, especially first time mommies, is the way they compare their own babies with other babies especially if the babies share the same gender and of almost the same age.

There was this (really “what-the-heck-kind-of) time when we visited Baby Charley’s paediatrician, Dr. Benny Cruz, in Batangas (before we came back to Makati). One mommy approached us, asking seemingly innocent questions about Baby Charley (her age, name of my doctor, if she’s my first baby).  Soon it became a bragging moment for her.

So we had to listen to almost an hour of, “oh my baby can do this already” and “my baby likes it when…”

We also had to suffer the likes of “Why can’t your baby do this and that already?”

Soon, other mommies would join us saying how bait, how active, how amazing, and blessed, how mestiza, and how (insert adjective here) their babies are.

This is also true with mommies in parenting chatrooms which we frequent because 1) the topics are related to what I’m currently looking for, and 2) we find it funny reading the threads, posts, and comments of Mom Warriors.

Honestly, woman, thank you very much, but I don’t need to know how often you change your baby’s diaper. And seriously, I don’t care how much money your husband brings home everyday.

Don’t get me wrong though, I DO love talking about Baby Charley and her little milestones to close family and friends only as much as possible. I wanna show her off that at 1 month old, you could talk to her and at 2 months, she could roll over, and all those shenanigans our little watermelon does everyday.

However, the whole world does not need to know everything about her. We’re just happy that she’s acting her age (sometimes waaayyy beyond her age pa) and she’s healthy. That’s it. Seriously, you don’t need to know that she wears Drypers when we feel burgis and EQ when we’re pobre.ΓΌ

*Follow charley_and_her_teddy @ IG

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts!